FOSTERA® GOLD PCV MH
Be ready with the broadest and longest-lasting protection available against PCV2 as well as long-lasting Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae (M. hyo) protection with Fostera® Gold PCV MH.
Porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2) mutates quickly,1 and the genetic gap between field strains and vaccine genotypes is increasing.2,3 Until now, all commercial PCV2 vaccines contained a single PCV2 genotype, meaning you could miss coverage against more prevalent or evolving strains in circulation.4-7
This ready-to-use combination vaccine:
- Contains two PCV2 genotypes — PCV2a and PCV2b — to provide broader antigenic coverage.8-13
- Has the longest duration of immunity (DOI) against PCV2 of 23 weeks,14,15 as well as a DOI of at least 23 weeks against M. hyo.16
- Has been shown to be effective for vaccination against PCV2 and respiratory disease due to M. hyo.
This means broader PCV2 coverage as well as the same effective M. hyo protection as other Zoetis M. hyo vaccines.
Broader protection for pig health and productivity against quickly evolving PCV2
- PCV2 has the highest mutation rate reported for a single-stranded DNA virus.1 With two PCV2 genotypes — PCV2a and PCV2b — Fostera Gold PCV MH has the broadest coverage of any PCV2 vaccine on the market.
- There are four known PCV2 genotypes present in U.S. swine herds, with prevalence shifting in the past several years to PCV2b17 and now PCV2d.18 The PCV2b antigen in Fostera Gold PCV MH should provide broader coverage for PCV2d and other evolving PCV genotypes. PCV2d was originally referred to as mutant PCV2b,19 and sequence analysis confirms that it is more similar to PCV2b than to PCV2a. A field study showed that Fostera Gold PCV MH provided cross-protection against PCV2d.20
Long protection for pig health and your profitability
- Changes in PCV2 virus and depressed immunity risk pig health and productivity, especially at the finishing stage. Fostera Gold PCV MH is the longest-lasting PCV2 vaccine with a DOI of at least 23 weeks,14,15 as well as long-lasting protection against M. hyo with a DOI of at least 23 weeks.16 This length of coverage can help reduce the risk of late breaks near finishing.
Demonstrated efficacy and safety against common PCV2 strains.
- The genetic gap between commercial PCV2 vaccines and field viruses is increasing.2,3 Fostera Gold PCV MH has demonstrated protection and safety against PCV2a, PCV2b, PCV2d, as well as M. hyo.8-13,21 For more information regarding efficacy and safety data, go to productdata.aphis.usda.gov.
- A broad immune response to the virus, including antibodies and cell-mediated immunity, mimics the response to a natural infection. Fostera Gold PCV MH is developed with the unique and smooth MetaStim® adjuvant that stimulates both cell-mediated immunity (which fights the virus inside the cell) and antibody-based immunity with minimal post-vaccination reactions.21
More pounds of pork to market.
- When PCV2 is combined with a co-infection, such as M. hyo, you could lose up to $20 per pig.22 Fostera Gold PCV MH has demonstrated excellent performance in commercial conditions delivering up to 1.61 pounds per day in average daily gain (ADG) and 257 pounds. in close-out weights.20
- 50-dose (100 mL) vial — SKU #10016243
- 250-dose (500 mL) vial — SKU #10016245
Directions: Shake well.
Single dose protocol: Administer a single 2 mL dose intramuscularly to healthy pigs 3 weeks of age or older.
Flexible, two dose protocol: May also be given as two 1 mL doses administered intramuscularly three weeks apart to pigs 3 days of age* or older.
The optimal choice of the dosing regimen, including age at time of vaccination, will depend on farm circumstances.
*Field experience with PCV2 vaccines indicates waiting until 3 weeks of age to initiate a split-dose regimen may yield a better immune response, even though the vaccine is safe when given at a younger age.
- For veterinary use only.
- Store at 2°-8°C (35°-46°F).
- Do not freeze.
- Use entire contents when first opened.
- Do not vaccinate within 21 days before slaughter.
- This product has not been tested in pregnant animals.
- Contains gentamicin and thimerosal as preservatives.
- The vaccine may induce mild to moderate transient local injection site reactions following vaccination in 3-day old piglets.
- In case of allergic reaction, administer epinephrine.
- Do not mix with other products.
- In case of human exposure, contact a physician.
1 Firth C, Charleston MA, Duffy S, Shapiro B, Holmes EC. Insights into the evolutionary history of an emerging livestock pathogen: porcine circovirus 2. J Virol. 2009;83(24):12813-12821.
2 Olvera A, Cortey M, Segalés J. Molecular evolution of porcine circovirus type 2 genomes: phylogeny and clonality. Virology. 2007;357(2):175-185.
3 Gerber PF, Johnson J, Shen H, et al. Association of concurrent porcine circovirus (PCV) 2a and 2b infection with PCV associated disease in vaccinated pigs. Res Vet Sci. 2013;95(2):775-81.
4 Gagnon CA, Tremblay D, Tijssen P, Venne M-H, Houde A, Elahi SM. The emergence of porcine circovirus 2b genotype (PCV-2b) in swine in Canada. Can Vet J. 2007;48(8):811-819.
5 Lefebvre DJ, Costers S, Van Doorsselaere J, Misinzo G, Delputte PL, Nauwynch HJ. Antigenic differences among porcine circovirus type 2 strains, as demonstrated by the use of monoclonal antibodies. J Gen Virol. 2008;89(Pt 1):177-187.
6 Saha D, Lefebvre DJ, Ooms K, et al. Single amino acid mutations in the capsid switch the neutralization phenotype of porcine circovirus 2. J Virol. 2012;93(Pt 7):1548-1555.
7 Cheung AK, Lager KM, Kohutyuk OI, et al. Detection of two porcine circovirus type 2 genotypic groups in United States swine herds. Arch Virol. 2007;152(5):1035-1044.
8 Data on file, Study Report No. B822R-US-14-325, Zoetis Inc.
9 Data on file, Study Report No. B822R-US-16-582, Zoetis Inc.
10 Data on file, Study Report No. B822R-US-15-544, Zoetis Inc.
11 Data on file, Study Report No. B825R-US-16-667, Zoetis Inc.
12 Data on file, Study Report No. B822R-US-15-557, Zoetis Inc.
13 Data on file, Study Report No. B822R-US-16-622, Zoetis Inc.
14 Data on file, Study Report No. B824R-US-15-451, Zoetis Inc.
15 Data on file, Study Report No. B824R-US-13-118, Zoetis Inc.
16 Data on file, Study Report No. B824R-US-15-505, Zoetis Inc.
17 Beach NM, Meng XJ. Efficacy and future prospects of commercially available and experimental vaccines against porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2). Virus Res. 2012;164(1-2):33-42.
18 Xiao CT, Harmon KM, Halbur PG, Opriessnig T. PCV2d-2 is the predominant type of PCV2 DNA in pigs samples collected in the U.S. during 2014-2016. Vet Micro. 2016;197:72-77.
19 Opriessnig, T, Gerber PF, Xiao CT, Mogler M, Halbur PG. A commercial vaccine based on PCV2a and an experimental vaccine based on a variant mPCV2b are both effective in protecting pigs against challenge with a 2013 US variant mPCV2b strain. Vaccine. 2014;32(2):230-237. 20 Data on file, Study Report
20 Data on file, Study Report No. 16PRGBIO-01-01, Zoetis Inc.
21 Data on file, Study Report No. B921R-US-16-609, Zoetis Inc.
22 Gillespie J, Opriessnig T, Meng XJ, Pelzer K, Buechner-Mawell V. Porcine circovirus type 2 and porcine circovirus-associated disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2009:23(6):1151-1163.
- Belgium (French)
- Belgium (Dutch)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States